The previous couple of projects for my craft list were skirts, but this one is a simple dress.
I found this velvet dress (like much of my wardrobe) at a thrift store and had to have it. I have several black velvet dresses and pretty much wear them year round.
This particular one didn’t fit me as well as I would have liked, a frequent problem for me. I could have easily just taken it in a little and left it at that, but why not do a little more?
I first pinned it on the sides and at the top. This obviously makes the dress smaller and the top part of it shorter, my unusual problem areas for fitting.
After sewing and trimming off the excess, just needed to embellish the dress a little. I added this pretty lace along the neckline along with some pearls to make it extra special. Looks really nice and it hides any sewing errors.
The results: A super pretty velvet dress that actually fits me.
As an extra bonus, I use the scraps of fabric to make a matching headband. I just wrapped the strips of fabric around the blank headband base while gluing it down, and then added a simple bow. A great way to complete this pretty new outfit.
Here’s the updated list:
Four down, just two more to go. The next one should be up by Friday. Look forward to it!