Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Main Dish

The cardboard doll house kitchen needed some dishware, but how do you make cardboard dishes?
photos 939
You don’t, these are made from paper.  I used a used envelope to make these plates and mugs.  The plates were made by cutting two circles from paper and gluing them together.  I folded up the edges little by little and coated them with Mod Podge.  Then came the paint and more Mod Podge.  For the mugs, I rolled strips of paper in little tubes for the cup shape.  I glued them leaving a little bit of the end of the strips loose, that part was cut in the shape of the handle.  I glued them to another piece of paper that I cut into a round shape for the base.  Multiple layers of paint and Mod Podge later, and they are surprisingly durable mugs with matching plates.  I chose to paint them pink on a whim.  They kind of remind me of some plastic toy dishes I used to have when I was little.  I don’t know what happened to those.  Oh well.
photos 953 
While I was at it with the dishes, I whipped up a little vase for the doll house too.  I twisted paper to make the top of the vase and used two different beads for the bottom part.  I painted it pink to match the dishes and coated it with Mod Podge.  It will really brighten up the little kitchen, if it doesn’t totally clash with the other pieces.  I can always repaint them if that happens.
Here’s the updated list:
  • Rosettes
  • Doll aprons
  • Zipper charms
  • Refrigerator
  • Heart purse
  • Doll
  • Kitchen sink
  • Cupboards
  • Clothes
  • Vase
  • Dishes
  • Curtains
Eleven down, just one to go.  The end will come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share what's on your mind, just keep it family friendly please.