Featured Post

Pretty Pens: A Tutorial

Sunday, August 23, 2015

5 a Week: Needle Books

It’s Sunday, so it’s time for week 8 of…
 
5 a Week: Needle Books
…The Five a Week Pledge.
 
If you haven’t been around here, it’s where you pledge to do five things each week of your choice (see the first week for more info).  I pledged to make five small crafts each week.  Feel free to grab a button and join me.  If you already have, post a comment or a link to share what you accomplished.
 
This week’s craft:

5 Needle Books Made with Fleece

Needle books.

Or needle cases if you prefer to call them that.  I say needle books because they look like cute little fabric books until you flip them open.

5 Needle Cases Made with Fleece

See what I mean?

The main reason I made them was to use up some leftover fleece.  Despite recent attempts at decluttering, I still had a few fleece squares hanging out in my stash waiting to be used.  Plus I realized I didn’t actually have anything cute to put my sewing needles in.  Just the packaging they came in, which is super boring.

5 a Week: Needle Books

This needle book is my favorite.  I love the cute daisy print fleece.

5 a Week: Needle Books

These books are super easy to make.  All I had to do was cut a couple of rectangle shaped pieces from the fleece for the “pages”, cut a wider piece to wrap around as the “cover”, then sew a straight line along the side as the “binding”.

5 a Week: Needle Books

I chose to just let the fabric do the talking, but if I wanted to I could have actually made them more elaborate.  Maybe add appliques or trims to the covers before sewing, or decorative stitching along the edges.  I kept on coming up with tons of ideas for making these books while sewing them, maybe even for making similar fabric books.  For now I’m happy with these, but I did come up with one good idea.  What’s a cute needle book without a cute matching pincushion?  So that will probably be next week’s craft.  Look forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share what's on your mind, just keep it family friendly please.