I finished my new dress just in time to wear for Easter, and now days later, I am finally posting it here.
Here’s the sketch of the design. It’s considerably different than what I originally had in my head, because in my head I was thinking of a different fabric that I thought I had. I went fabric shopping, fell in love with a different fabric and pumped out this design inspired by the new fabric. So how did the dress come out?
It’s sleeveless (worn over a blouse) with a full skirt layered with the floral fabric and a cream colored fabric. The fabric should look familiar since I used it for the purse I made (see Just Several Pretty Lace Accessories...). Matches the dress perfectly.
I only had a few little problems. I not sure the front of the bodice came out as well as I want, though it does fit me quite well which is rare for me. And I realized that when I bought the ribbon to match the fabric, I didn’t buy enough. This required an additional visit to the store. And naturally this lead to me walking out of the store with more than just ribbon.
Here is the bib on the front of the bodice. Lots of lace, tiny buttons and pin tucks galore. I kind of think I made it a tiny bit too long, but maybe I’m just being too picky. Otherwise I think it’s great. The ribbon was a pain to sew. I did it completely by hand here as well as on the skirt because it would snag on the machine. Completely worth it.
I made use of the pins and stuff I made with the purse. They help complete the entire outfit.
Here’s the updated list:
Four down, three more to go. Might be a little while for the next project, but it will come. Look forward to it.